What would happen if i placed a magnet onto my pacemaker/defibrillator?

what would happen if i placed a magnet onto my pacemaker/defibrillator?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Cardiologist, Interventional 's  Response
hello ... n welcome ...
if u place magnet into Pacemaker, then the pacemaker will work at a particular rate, that is PREPROGRAMMED by particular pacemaker.
normally we set the pacemaker as per our requirement like when ur working rate may be less or when ur running rate may increase, but when u put magnet then heart will work in a FIXED rate. it will not change.
good luck... if not satisfied with answer can ask again ...
It depends on which device you have a pacemaker or defibrillator. If it is a pacemaker only, a magnet turns off the sensing of the device (that is what makes the pacemaker see your own heart beat). While it won't hurt you, it can make you feel uncomfortable and is not recommended unless checking it on the telephone. If it is a defibrillator (which all defibs have pacesmakers built into them), is a whole different subject. In this case a magnet will suspend the shocking part of the device, but not the pacemaker part. This can be very dangerous because if you have an arrhythmia it needs to treat, as long as the magnet is there, it won't be able to treat it and that can have dire consequences. In a nutshell, don't place a magnet near any device that is keeping your heart beating.