What could be the reason for coughing with yellowish mucus in a smoker ?

Hello my question is that yesterday i went into the doctors because i thought i was coughing up the green mucus with blood however it happened again this morning and it was not the green mucus it was more like a yellowish white tube like shap that had what looked to me like small blood vessels in it when i opened it. Please tell me what this could possible be or what possibly needs to be done to find out what is going on. I am also a smoker which this might scare me into quiting.
Asked On : Tue, 27 Mar 2012