Ultrasound showed multiple follicles in ovaries, going to start IVF. Could this lead to PCOS?

Hi I have just had an ultrasound and a little confused I was told by the doctor that I have multiple follicles in both my ovaries. I am starting IVF on my next cycle and he said this is something they have to keep an eye on because this could lead to PCOS? 4 before this I had another ultrasound as over the last 8 months I have been having sharp (left overy) pains heavy period etc and she never picked up on this she said all was ok so my question is what does it mean that I have multiple follicles does this mean I could get cyst anytime and is this one the reasons I have these pains???
Asked On : Mon, 12 Mar 2012