What causes delayed and scanty periods when suffering from PCOD?

Mar 2013
i have the complaint pcod diagnosed at my 17 yrs after which my periods were regular but for the past five years again problem start, after i decreased my few kgs of weight, my periods were regular for seven months, now again last month my periods were little scanty, this month day before yesterday i got my periods, there was no flow at only 5 ml of brownish fluid came out, help me wat to do
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. PCOD or polycystic ovarian disease is a condition characterized by baseline hormonal imbalance. The ovary is studded with multiple small follicles ( resembling small cysts - hence the name of the condition ). Due to the hormonal imbalances, none of these small follicles form a mature egg, hence ovulation is erratic, and periods are irregular. Periods will be irregular, delayed at times, scanty. So that There is no ' cure ' for PCOD. Its symptoms can only be controlled. Weight loss is a prominent feature in controlling the condition. Even a 5 % weight loss will regulate cycles. Sometimes, further additional medications such as Metformin might be required to regulate cycles. Please consult a Gynaecologist, and have detailed evaluation of the severity of PCOD which you have. Please get the following done - 1. Complete internal check up - per vaginum and per speculum 2. Pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally 3. Follicular monitoring to check if ovulation is occurring. 4. Hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, Lipid Profile, DHEAS, Serum testosterone, Fasting serum insulin. Then accordingly Metformin can be added. Many women require additional therapy ( medications to induce ovulation ) in order to conceive. Do not worry, as with daily exercise and a nutritious diet, you will be able to lead a normal life. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.