Tingling, swelling in lips, spread to cheeks. Taking antihistamine. History of HIV. Causes?

I have a friend who is kind of stubborn. 2 days ago he woke with tingling lips , and the right side of lips swollen, then spread to left. I suggested an antihistimine and call the dr, in which he did. They called back and suggested the same. 2nd day lower lips were better but upper lip still swollen, spread to cheeks. 3rd day lips a little better and swelling has seemed to move higher on cheek bone. Still taking antihistimine. Trying to get him to Dr, hopefully today he will go. He had this happen last year on a motorcycle trip, thought it was a bug bite . Any idea what is causing this. Additional concern is that he is HIV positive, he is 67 years old.
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012