Smoking addict, high cholesterol, recurring TIA. Cause of recurrence?

I suffered TIA 12 DAYS ago which also happened 6 months ago which was due to high cholesterol , I took statin, it lowered my cholesterol. I then stopped statin 3 months ago. in my recent TIA my BP was 120/70 when in hospital for the TIA, I am a smoker but I did not smoke in hospital. Right now my BP is around 130/82. My question: Does smoking really cause TIA, or it attribute more to my high cholesterol which is 5. last episode was 4.2. Dr says optimal is 2.4. I read that if I quit smoking , my BP will raise, that worries me.
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012