Severe snoring, stops breathing while sleeping, vomiting, breathlessness. How to prevent this?

My husband is 35 years old, 5 ft 11 inches and 210-215 lbs He has always had a bad snoring problem, and sometimes stops breathing in his sleep. On some nights, he wakes up choking on vomit , and unable to breath. He has to do a sort of Heimlich manover on himself to release the vomit, so he can gasp for air. Is this life threatening, and is there something i can do to help prevent it from happening again?
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013