Pneumonia, strains of pneumococcus, prescribed pneumovax vaccine. Treatment?

My mother, who is in 101st year, is residing at a nursing home in Quebec. I have had a request from the "home" to give my consent to have her receive the Pneumovax vaccine. They say is helps protects against 23 of the most common strains of pneumococcus and is usually a once in a lifetime vaccination. My mother had pneumonia this past January, and we nearly lost her. What are the potential side effects of this vaccine, and does it also cover the flu vaccine?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013