PCOS, on birth control pills. Family history of breast cancer. Has prolonged menstruation, weightgain, depression. Suggestions?

My daughter, age 25 years, has PCOS . She has not been to a GYN in two years (she is married), due to insurance issues that have just recently been resolved. At the time of her last visit to the doctor, he prescribed Metformin and birth control pills. She had severe gastrointestinal pain and loose bowels from the Metformin and stopped taking it, and she only took the birth control for 3 months, as I have hormone receptor positive breast cancer . (the doctor felt the risks outweighed the benefits). I am concerned because my daughter now has prolonged menstruation (lasting 2 weeks or more..with spotting and often heavy bleeding). She has gained quite a lot of weight, and seems to be very depressed. We are unsure where to proceed. Where should she start?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013