Nerve damage in shoulder. Using diazepam for sleep. Why isn't paracetamol or codeine working?

I have nerve damage in my right shoulder (neuropathia?). None of the traditional pain relief drugs ( paracetamol , co-codamol, codeine ) are touching it. I went to A & E yesterday after breaking down at work (I haven t slept more than fitfully for six nights now) where they diagnosed my condition and gave me diazepam to help me sleep. Sadly this didn t work either: I was up at midnight putting an ice pack on it and, for the sake of doing something, taking more paracetamol; at 2 am making myself a hot milk (not a miracle cure!) and then listening to an MP3 player for two hours. Between 4am and 8am I think I got some kind of sleep. I called the pharmacy line and she said that not diazepam does not work with everyone. Someone at my wife s work who has had similar problems suggest I try the diazepam tonight again, perhaps earlier in the evening. I did also ask about the lack of effect of traditional pain killers. She said that this can happen with nerve damage. She suggested a couple of alternatives that may work to ease the pain: amitryptiline and gabapentin . What do you think? I am seeing a physiotherapist tomorrow - hopefully this will help. In the meantime I am in a bit of a state.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jun 2012