Irregular periods. Tests show polycystic ovary, prescribed Femilon. Side effects?

Hello Doctor, I am 21 years old and have had irregular periods from the very start. In the start of 2012, I missed my periods 2-3 months and started homeopathic treatment. I experienced severe pain in left abdomen region, bloating and fullness and got various tests done. Polycystic ovary was the impression and I consulted a gynec. I took regestrone for 3 days and got my periods after a week. Then, my doctor advised other hormonal tests. All the reports are fine. Now, she recommended me taking Femilon ( Desogestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol ) tablets for 6 months. Does it have any side-effect? Will I have any problem in the future? I am sexually active.
Asked On : Tue, 13 Nov 2012
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry you're having menstrual problems. Femilon's side effects are similar to those of other birth control pills: bloating, weight gain, nausea, breast tenderness, headaches, and fluid retention are among the most commonly reported side effects. Many women experience spotting or breakthrough bleeding, too, particularly during their first few cycles. Birth control pills also increase your risk for gallstones, blood clots, and strokes. Some studies suggest a slightly higher risk for breast cancer in women who take birth control pills, but a six-month course won't increase your risk for breast cancer to any degree.
Birth control pills are generally safe, and they're one of the first choices for dealing with the menstrual irregularities associated with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Obviously, while you're taking Femilon you won't be able to conceive, but women with PCOS usually have trouble conceiving anyway; this is an issue you may need to address in the future if you decide to have children. (Taking Femilon now will not affect your future fertility, by the way.)
I hope that answers your questions, and I hope things go well for you!