Irregular menstrual cycle. Bleeds bright and gets lighter. Why is there weight loss? Worry?

Hi, I am a 31 year old female with three children. My youngest is 21 months. Over the past 9 months or so I have had very irregular menstration. My normal cycle has always been 28 days with bleeding of 7 days. I had always been regular and never had any fertility problems. I don t take birth control and haven t since 2006. Over the last 9 months I began to bleed a week early and for about 9 days. Then it increased to 11 days and then when it finally reached 14 days I made a doctor appointment. My mother and brother both have hypothyroidism and I have always had high cholesterol that even with diet and medication seldom lowers. I am 5 ft 4.5 and weigh 148 lbs. I noticed about 6 months ago my hair had extremely thinned (very drastic) and has been breaking off. I assumed it was my hair dresser s fault - maybe using cheap products. I haven t gone through anything stressful or major changes that I feel would change my menstration. When the bleeding starts its large bright red drops of blood rather than a slow pink spotting as a general warning (how it used to be). The doctor said I had no cysts or thyroid problems and he prescribed medroxyprogesterone . He told me to take it 7 days before my bleeding starts - for 3 months. Well, I have done this and nothing changed. The first 2 months it seemed to work and I was very regular, then it went back to being abnormal. It was hard to take it 7 days prior to bleeding because I would start on irregular days (way early). I have taken it for 4 months now and I just started bleeding a week early today. I m frustrated about this bleeding but I am worried something could be wrong with me. It just doesn t seem right. He had told me not to worry that everything was fine, and that more than anything this was just an annoying issue for me rather than a concern. I want to get a second opinion. Is this something to be worried about?
Asked On : Sun, 15 Jul 2012