How are muscle pulls in diabetic patients treated ?

Hi good evening. My mother is 63 years old, weighs about 145lbs, she is about 5 1 tall. She suffered a heart attack December 2010 and 2 stenches were placed in 2 of the valves then January 2011 another 2 was placed in 2 more valves. Before the heart attack she was a diabetic patient , she had high blood pressure, asthma (occasionally), sinus and cholesterol . Now since the heart attack she has readily steady her diabetes and pressure. Her problem now is this once in awhile pull muscle in her right foot but constantly having burning in said right foot with a few boot of pain from her hip down to her feet and at times leaving her toes numb. As soon as the pain starts she has to resort to sitting down and constantly rubbing and slapping the foot to ease the pain. What do you think or suggest.Some times when it hurt so much while in her bed she has to prompt it up under a pillow and keep shifting it until she gets a little relieve and get some sleep.
Asked On : Sat, 21 Apr 2012
Hello and welcome to

I commend your mother's success in controlling her diabetes and blood pressure. Uncontrolled diabetes and blood pressure are major risk factors for heart health.

Diabetes can destroy nerves in the feet, legs, and hands of diabetic patients. This process is referred to diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy may include: 1) Tingling; 2) Numbness (severe or long-term numbness can become permanent); 3) Burning (especially in the evening); and 4) Pain.

In most cases, early symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy will become less when blood sugar is under control. Medications can be taken to help control the discomfort if needed.

An alternate diagnosis is restless leg syndrome (RLS). Restless leg syndrome (RLS, restless legs syndrome) is a common cause of painful legs. The leg pain of restless leg syndrome typically eases with motion of the legs and becomes more noticeable at rest. Restless leg syndrome also features worsening of symptoms and leg pain during the early evening or later at night. The cause of restless leg syndrome is unknown in most people. However, restless leg syndrome has been associated with diabetes.

There are medications to help relieve some of the pain and discomfort of both diabetic peripheral neuropathy and Restless Leg Syndrome. I advise evaluation by her family physician to help determine the appropriate treatment for her painful sensations.

I hope that I have adequately answered your questions. Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Be well,
Dr. Kimberly