What causes sharp pain in left shoulder joint with finger numbness?

I had a sharp pain in left shoulder joint & now have chronic numbness in left pinky, ring & side of hand Also what would be the treatment for this & is this related to the car accident? I am already on lyrica & fentanyl for chronic pain
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Remedies for left shoulder joint pain&numbness... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The sharp pain in your left shoulder joint is partially related to the car accident and cervical spondylosis. The drugs you are taking are good choices to relieve the pain. However, I also suggest to: - apply warm clothing to the shoulder joint - I usually recommend to my patients to warm coarse salt, cover with a light clothing and apply to the painful joint - apply local analgesic cream to relieve pain - keep massaging with lavender/olive oil and frequent physio-therapy The chronic numbness in left ring finger and side left hand is due to shoulder joint pain which is associated with inflammation. The inflamed joint would affect the nearby nerve which is innervating the left ring finger and side left hand causing chronic numbness. Once the shoulder join pain/inflammation will be reversed, you will not feel the numbness anymore. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana
Follow-up: What causes sharp pain in left shoulder joint with finger numbness? 4 hours later
Hi, The pain that I felt ran along the neck to the shoulder joint this happened in the beginning of December I have used hot & cold patches this has not relieved the numbness in the pinky & ring fingers
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Short-course of injecting pain-killers advised... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. If hot&cold patches did not show any improvement, then, should run X-ray of the neck and shoulder area to determine the types of damages. Once again, if calcification or other damage is seen, that is putting pressure to the nearby nerves which are innervating the pinky&ring fingers. A further X-ray of the hand is also suggested to rule out hand's joints problems. I also highly recommend physio-therapy and to not to work (extensively) moving the neck/shoulder joints. To ease the pain, I usually prescribe a 5 day course of injecting: - thiocolcoside i.m. once daily - diclophenac/ketoprofene i.m once daily together with oral pain killers. You can discuss with your doctor to get the prescription. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana