High platelet levels. Reason? Took prednisone for asthma. Hydroxiurea suggested. Need a second opinion

I am 60yrs old, same weight for years, very fit, healthy,active and have always eaten fresh out of my garden. Since 1998 my platlete levels have been on the rise. Significant timeline as I was admited to hospital with a drug reaction which saw me out to it for 5hrs. Prednizone and two other drugs were given at the time for suspected asthma a. can walking to the Med lab prior to taking blood sample cause a significant rise in platelets? 860 recorded b. specialist is pushing for me to go on Hydroxiurea, which I have chosen not to do. Your recommendation please? c. last 3 months readings have been : - Nov 13, 776; Feb 13, 714; lastest 860 I appreciate your advise thankyou
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013