High BP, taking lisinopril. How long will it take to normalize?

My blood pressure is 160/110. i began taking lisinopril 40 mg approximately one week ago. My blood pressure has not changed at all. How long will it take to work? i am worried of heart attack and stroke . i have had hypertension for 5 years now, am 23 years old. both of my parents have HTN and my father died of heart disease. the clinician i saw told me i would benefit from a diuretic . but i have heard good and bad things about diuretics, saying they could harm the kidneys. i am very confused and scared. please help
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012