Having slow recovery from spinal cord surgery, lost bowel and bladder control. What to do ?

Hello, This question is about my brother. He had a surgery last month January 12, 2013 on his spinal cord after an acident at his work. He is gettin a slow recovery, start to walking a little with help. The only problem he has is he lost bowel and bladder control. Has been more than one month after the surgery and he still can t get back to normal. He is using the catheterin for the bladder. My question is howl long it will take to recover from the bowel and bladder problem, and is he willing to recover? what is required to do, to speed the recovery.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013