Does headache caused due to falling need immediate medical attention?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi a little over 24 hours ago i fell asleep at my dining room table. Sadly, I fell out of the chair and hit my forhead on the floor, which is concrete. Ouch is right... Pretty sure I woke up right before it happened, woke up from my sleep. After I hit my head and kneeled up for a couple of miins as my head pain subsided. I looked in the mirror and it was red and is tender as one would excpect. There is a small scrape but nothing alarming. So I thought to myself, great thats going to be a nice painful knot right there in front.. Ugh... Nothing, no swelling and still none. A couple of hours later I laid down and fell asleep for a bit and got up... A couple of hours after that I took another nap... both are normal for me and my work hours. Up to this point I have had a minor headache where the impact was but through out the day I noticed it getting better so I hadnt taken any asprin or anything. I called a friend because I got a little freaked out from looking it up online. He came over and the er has a 5 hour wait time unless I can find another and to top it off I have no insurance. At this point I think i am okay, I did take two asprin last night and my headache is gone and I laid down and got some rest. Although didnt go into a deep sleep just because I was thinking too much of it.... So do I need to go to the ER still ? If so , can I not go to the er but maybe to a neurologist without having to get a referral first. Again, no insurance and have to pay out of pocket... Or can I wait and if anything happens then go or what do you suggest? Are there other symptoms that I should look out for? Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Considering your description and photo this is not a mechanism where serious head injury can happen. You probably had just a mild brain concussion and these symptoms are expected. It includes headache, sleeping disorder, mild nausea and vomtiing, photophobia and mild confusion. It may last even up to 3-4 days and sometimes 2-3 weeks. I am sure that it will sunside in next few days. The only serious thing which can happen in blunt head traumas is subdural or epidural hematoma. It usually happens in high energy traumas or in older people and in patients who are taking anticoagulant therapy. If you are not one of them, I dont see a reason why would you visit ER. There can be RTG or CT scan performed but if I were your doctor I wouldnt do any of these tests if you dont have neurologic symptom which indicates serious head trauma. It can be loss of conciousness for more than 5 minutes, 5 episodes of vomiting, significant sleepyness or agitation,seizures of loss of sensation in arms and legs. If you dont have these, you should rest at home in peace,avoid strong lights and noise, drink plenty of fluids,take nonsteroid painkillers and put some ice on swelling.So this is the main treatment and even if you see neurologist he cant help a lot. If you notice some of these symptoms I ve mentioned or headache persist for more than 7 days,you should visit hospital. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask . Regards
Follow-up: Does headache caused due to falling need immediate medical attention? 32 minutes later
What kind of therapy is that and Im 30 so I don't think to be considered to be old... haha. I take a Truvada & 2 Isentress daily and 40mg Prozac. I looked it up I don't believe that is the same as the therapy you mentioned. ??
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Well,truvada and isentress dont have effect on blood coagulation so you dont have to be worried about intracranial bleeding. Prozac as well. So you dont need ct scan nor neurologic exam.