What causes heaviness in my head after a head injury?

I am a 65 years old woman. About 10 years back, I fell down from a stool with my head hitting the floor of living room in my house. Although I did not feel much pain at that time and I was alright since then. But nowadays, from the past one month, I am feeling little heaviness on that (right) part of the brain, which was hit during my fall at that time. When I move my head a little bit, I feel that something heavy is moving inside. Of course, it does not pain at all. However, I am feeling that slowly the heaviness is increasing. What could be the reason ?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for sending in your query. A head injury after fall can vary from minimal insignificant injury to severe head injury. The simplest brain injury may is called concussion and does not lead to any structural damage. It is important to know if you had a CT scan taken 10 years back and if it showed any problem. An old brain injury more than 10 years back is unlikely to be the reason of your problems right now. However it is important to get examined clinically by a neurologist. If necessary, a CT scan might be required to know of any internal abnormalities. The nerve supply from the neck must also be examined. As you have mentioned that the heaviness is slowly increasing, you should not delay further and get evaluated at the earliest. You may also have a migraine headache or headache due to eye problems, these cannot be ruled out without proper investigations. The worrisome symptoms of any brain related problem are vomiting, dizziness, loss of balance, blurring of vision, severe headache and mental confusion, if you don't have these symptoms then it is less likely to be a serious problem. I hope this helps. Do write back in case of doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: What causes heaviness in my head after a head injury? 40 hours later
Dear Dr A XXXXXXX Kavoor, Many thanks for your quick and prompt reply. As I am not suffering from any of the brain related problems as mentioned by you, I hope that I am OK. Of course, I did not undergo any CT scan in the past. I am quite OK now and everything is in order. Many thanks once again and regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 43 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. Wishing you good health. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor