Had mole on toe biopsied. Result said atypical. Had a melanoma removed. Connected?

I am 23 years old. I just had a mole between my toes biopsied. The results came back as atypical. The dermatologist told me, Wait for it to heal. If there is pigment left, come back. Otherwise, come back in September, and I can check it for you. I was really scared by this! I don t know what degree of atypical this is. From researching, I know that having atypical moles (or dysplastic nevi) can increase my risk for skin cancer . I am fair-skinned, and I have very dark hair and eyes. My father s uncle (great uncle) had a melanoma removed. His son and granddaughter both have had melanomas removed through-out their lives. My grandmother had basal cell carcinoma removed. So, I know melanoma is sort of distant, but still in my gene pool. No one else in my family has had melanoma thus far, but my father and my uncle have had atypical moles. I found another mole under my armpit that I forgot to show my doctor. It is dark brown, has notches (if you look close), and may be different shades throughout. It is 1.5 mm wide and 2.5 mm long. It is flat. What are the chances that this could be melanoma? My dermatologist told me that he would look at it when I came back for my other mole in September. Do I need to see him earlier? Would I notice more changes if it was truly dangerous? How likely is it for someone with a few atypical moles to develop skin cancer in the future? My doctor told me to only worry about black moles. Is this true, no matter what the shape? Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012