Child suffering with protein losing enteropathy, pitting edema in limbs, has breathing difficulty, eases with Omnacortil. Is it safe for regular use?

My daughter 4.5 Years, suffering from Protein Losing Enteropathy due to Intestinal Lymphangiectasia. Due to Hypoalbumania Plural Effusion and Pericardial effusion . Few times tapped from Lungs. Pitting edima for both the limbs. Some times she suffers from breathing difficulty due to wheezing . When ever she suffers from wheezing doctor prescribing the Omnacartil 20 mg twice per day and Adrinalin Nebulization. We use Omnacartil for one week then weezing will subside and the same time drastic improvement in her swelling too. My query here is, can we use Omnacartil for longer duration to treat her core problem(Protein Losing Enteropathy). What would be the side effects if use Omnacartil for longer period. Can we afford the side effects with the benifit of swelling reduction and albumin infusion reduction. Thanks a lot.
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Thanks for the query
As you said cause of protein energy malnutrition is intestinal lymphangiectesia. But as I think there must be some inflammatory component this is why she responded to steroid because till now there is not any full proved evidence based study which suggests use of steroid in management of int. lymph. There are so many side effects of steroid particularly when used for long term and in high doses. Hyperglycemia,osteoporosis, cataract, anxiety,depression, colitis, hypertension,hypogonadism, hypothyroidism, amenorrhoea, and retinopathy are common.
So what she may need is a reevaluation of diagnosis and if there is inflammatory component then it can be used for long term in low dosage under the supervision of physician.
I hope this answers your query well
Wish you and your family good health
With regards