Child has burning sensation under eye. Had fever, runny nose and vomiting. Reason?

My son was sent home from school because he vomited. He has a slight fever , accompanied by a slight redness on the skin underneath his right eye. He also has a stuffy/runny nose . After a long nap, his fever has reduced and he was able to keep down some chicken soup and saltine crackers. His only complaint now is that the skin under his eye burns, so I am applying a cool washrag to his eye. Any idea what could be the issue?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013