Will Septilin help in curing urinary tract infection caused due to E.coli and boost my body immunity?

Ayurveda Specialist
Present age 77yrs, male.4 problems : 1). Very Low body immunity, 2) Urinary Tract Infection (detected E.Coli 1 week ago ). As per sensitivity report, started taking Martifur MR 100 twice daily, now fever gone and general condition has also improved. 3) Gall Bladder adenomyomatosis, (bilirubin (total) 6 weeks before was 3.5, 1 week before 1.6, now 0.8 ; 4) Mild pleural effusion beneath lung (detected in abdomen ultrasonography), advised chest PA XRay. Lung fields found clear in chest PA xray. OBSERVATION : Medical examinations showed no lung abnormalities (chest pa xray), no brain abnormalities (ct brain scan), no abnormality in ultrasonography of upper & lower abdomen except gallbladder adenomyomatosis, total blood count presently 14600 ( from 18000 1 week back), ESR presently 66 ( from about 45 1 week back), CRP presently 3.5 (from about 3.3 1 week back), All other blood parameters, kidney patameterd normal. PREVIOUS HISTORY was a repitition of the whole scenario (except e.coli was not detected), when augmentin followed by livofloxacin was given which normalised every blood parameter ( TC 26100 reduced to 7500, ESR 50 reduced to 10, CRP 14 reduced to <0.5 ).But whole thing replapsed when medicine was stopped, probably relapsed due to E.coli. Is there any other infection which has led to e.coli, which the previous medication very effectively normalised all parameters, so after medicine withdrawal, present e.coli treatment having partial effect ? Also ESSENTIAL THAT BODY IMMUNITY BE BOOSTED UP to fight and cure any infection. Please advise on treatment and cure. How is Septilin ? (He is allergic to Azithromycin in alopathy) Thanks.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 8 hours later
Brief Answer: need clarifications Detailed Answer: Dear MR Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following points need(s) clarifications for Ayurveda line of management and Medicine. 1. since low body immunity is the first concern thus as a compulsory questionnaire, which I usually ask from my patients, do let me know about his blood sugar profile [diabetes], increased susceptibility to cold, flu, repeated respiratory tract infections [bronchitis, old TB], use of steroids[immuno suppression], HIV test report [if done]. 2. since kidney parameters came normal, probably kidney disease is/are excluded, [make sure prostatitis is ruled out] and since UTI symptoms are relieved after CST [culture sensitivity report] it simply implies re infection [if proved otherwise]rather than relapse or treatment failure 3. CRP increases in four conditions: trauma-necrosis-inflammation-infection and Gall bladder [GB] adenomyomatosis is one such cause of the same. 4. ESR simply means that some INFECTION is going inside [GB pathology], thus if ESR has increased from prior values make sure that there isn't any GB Malignancy [since adenomyomatosis is a common and benign condition], was opinion of General Surgeon taken in this respect?? 5. since TLC is still at higher range, make sure Infection [if there] is either due to low body immunity [as discussed above] or due to some disease of the GB pathology?? [any CT/MRI done of the said region] 6. If you want to use Septilin make sure you have clarified the above said points to initiate Ayurveda dietary Regime and Medicine. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika Clinic
Follow-up: Will Septilin help in curing urinary tract infection caused due to E.coli and boost my body immunity? 38 hours later
Dear doctor, thanks for your observations. Here are the Clarifications : On point 1 : non diabetic as per HBA1C (almost borderline or slightly above normal as per sugat Fasting ) , he has inclination to cold, sometimes bronchal congestion in lungs, had a previous record of COPD ( now cured ), no use of steroids, no HIV report. On points 2,3,4 : As per USG prostate is normal in size, as per blood test PSA is normal. Yes, the focal point is E.Coli & pus cells, though as per latest urine reports, pus cells reduced to 10 per Hpf from 40 per Hpf, and no e.coli found. But as I hear, that E.Coli needs a prolonged treatment, and is not cured easily. The ESR has increased to 87 ( from 50 initially, thrreafter 66 ) together with CRP. He is taking Martifur MR 100 one tab twice dsily to be taken for 2 months thereafter once daily for 1 month. My physician at the moment is not giving much importance to gallbladder adenomyomatosis and mild pleural effusion that was beneath lungs as shown in USG abdomen but chest fields came clear in x-ray. My physician is of the view that Total count had increased to 18000 (which was previously 26000+) but now decreased to 14000 due to E.Coli and treatment for it. If a week or two be observed, ESR and CRP likely to go down. He is of the view anthing serious is very unlikely in his case given the good improvement in general confusion. BUT YOU CAN WELL UNDERSTAND DOCTOR, I AS HIS SON IS WORRIED. Please feel free to put in whatever suggestions for his betterment, the best line of action and treatment. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Preventive Aspect Detailed Answer: Dear MR Thanks for reverting back with your clarifications and concern(s) 1.Since renal profile is normal, Martifur [nitrofurantoin] can be safely given. 2.Since Age is 77 [elderly] thus monitor hepatic & pulmonary function during prolonged therapy [3 months] 3.Since drug is known to cause diabetes, electrolyte imbalance, vitamin B deficiency, debility [check them periodically] and if signs of peripheral neuropathy occur, WITHDRAW the drug [after consulting your attending Physician] 4.Reduced effect of Martifur with urinary alkalizers [make sure there is no interaction ], you may ask your Doctor [at your discretion] 5.Presence of pus cells, E.coli suggests UTI [urinary tract infection] and since impaired body resistance is there [low body immunity] thus is a predisposing factor in UTI. 6.To increase immunity: i.take banana, black grapes, orange, spinach, ginger, tomatoes, curd, take diet rich in vitamin C (Citrus fruits) and vitamin E (sunflower seeds, almonds, apricots, peanuts) which are rich in anti oxidants and thus helps in improvement of Thymus function (associated with Immunity.) ii.Eat mixture of amla powder ½ spoon with 4 spoons of honey. 7.Septilin is indicated for following conditions: i.As a daily health supplement in infection prone individuals. [low immunity] PS. Septilin possesses Immunomodulators and anti-inflammatory properties, which potentiate the non-specific immune responses of the body, it builds up resistance to infection and helps prevent re- infection ii.Respiratory infections [suffered from COPD] iii.Infective and Inflammatory conditions [ESR/CRP along with GB pathology] iv.Urinary tract infections [E.coli] so can be given in a dose of 2 teaspoonfuls: 3 times a day. PS. Septilin stimulates phagocytosis by macrophage activation, increases the polymorph nuclear cells and help overcome infection 8.Since the said condition [GB adenomyomatosis] is surgical, thus it is best to have your Doctor to look into the matter, what can be initiated is Dietary Regime in such cases: . Take: . Cucumbers, Green beans, Sweet potatoes, Avocados, Vinegars [all types], Garlic, ripe tomatoes. .lemon juice in the morning with hot water, apples, berries, papaya, pear. . Vegetable juices - Beet and cucumber are especially helpful to gallbladder, avoid cabbage. . Avoid all fruit juices except organic grape juice and organic apple: fresh, self-juice is best [ dilute with water before drinking] . High fibre [fresh fruits and vegetables] and low fat diet [skimmed milk], hing, old brown rice, barley, horse gram, moong dal, ginger, green leafy vegetables, oil massage, boiled water, 2.Avoid: . Eggs, Onions, Beans and legumes,Coffee,Oranges, grapefruit,nuts,fried Foods, Spicy foods,Chocolate,Ice cream, Carbonated water, Tap water, artificial sweeteners, sugar, preservatives, refined and bleached foods . . Fried foods, urad dal, tomato, turnip, milk and milk products, constipating/heavy food, soda, alcohol, tea, potato, beet root, dry raisins, sour food, cashew nuts. . Take 3 gm ajwain [carom] seeds and eat, thereafter drink warm water. . Chew sugarcane pieces and keep swallowing the juice. . Drink 1 cup spinach leaf juice daily for 1 month. . Drink 1 cup of radish leaves for 14 days. . Take 3-4 spoons of olive oil in evening with warm water or milk. . Grind onion and extract 20 gm juice and to it add 50 gm sugar candy powder [mishri] and drink. PS. Take vitamin-C-rich foods in your daily diet: like amla, orange, grapefruit, kiwi, cantaloupe, mango, strawberries, broccoli, red pepper, or tomato juice. [Since vitamin C is needed to properly synthesize bile; and deficient intake causes bile to become cholesterol-rich and increasing the likelihood of stone formation]. . Do check with baseline Investigations. Dr. Munish sood Naimittika
Follow-up: Will Septilin help in curing urinary tract infection caused due to E.coli and boost my body immunity? 40 minutes later
thanks doctor for your detailed suggestion. just 4 questions : 1. Do u suggest septilin, if so, what dose ? ( in what cases septilin should not be taken ), 2. Could you please revisit and modify the food list, in view of the fact that he has thyroid (though now normal), also that egg acts as a stimulant booster for him, has egg yolk thrice a week, only egg white the remaining days, can we keep the egg 1 per day? 3. Are you also of the same view with his treatment being followed up now, or do you suggest any other method which could be more helpful and effective ? Please feel free to give your perspective, 4) How can I contact you over phone (if needed). Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Clarifications Detailed Answer: Dear MR Thanks for reverting back with your concern(s) 1.Septilin is used to reduce recurrence in infection prone individuals, as an adjuvant to anti-infective therapy and people with resistance to antibiotic therapy, so it can be safely taken by your Father in a dose of: Tablet: 2 tablets twice daily till symptoms are relieved, followed by 1 tablet twice daily as maintenance therapy Syrup: 2 teaspoonfuls three times daily. 2.The main cause of hypothyroidism is iodine deficiency thus iodine containing drugs like “Shigru” “jalkumbhi" "trikatu" are/should be advised/ instituted along with your current prescription. .Apart from taking the medicines you can practice certain “PRANAYAM” which helps in stimulation of thyroid gland like- ‘Brahmari pranayam’; ‘sheetali/ seetkari pranayam’ .Avoid fatty food, curd, late night work, soyabean, milk,Broccoli,Cauliflower Spinach XXXXXXX Radish,Cabbage,Turnip,Brussels Sprouts,Millet,mustard oil, and take moong dal,tambul,saindhav,tandulodak,coconut water, vegetable soups. . Avoid Egg yolks or whole eggs or foods with whole eggs [Egg whites are acceptable, because they contain little or no iodine] 3. since he is under expert guidance, have full faith in your Doctor, and I'm also of the same view [just follow the instructions] 4. you can contact on 0000 [between 10AM to 9PM] Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika
Follow-up: Will Septilin help in curing urinary tract infection caused due to E.coli and boost my body immunity? 24 hours later
doctor, is septilin known to have any adverse effect that needs to be watched for ?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: None reported in medical journals Detailed Answer: Dear MR Septilin is not known to have any side effects if taken as per the prescribed dosage, please consult your attending/Ayurveda physician [there] to prescribe the dosage that best suits the condition. Following are the recommended guidelines which I furnish to my patient(s) 1. Septilin should not be used in known hypersensitivity to any of the medication active ingredients 2. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your physician before starting treatment with Septilin 3. In rare cases skin allergic reactions such as rash, hives and itching are possible. 4. Do not share medicine with others without consultation and avoid self medication. 5.Do not take it more often or for a longer period than advised. Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika