What precautions should be taken when suffering from gout?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor,My name is XXXX i am having gout problem now for the last 8years &now its attacking on my knee the pain is unbearable,plz advise what precoution i should take.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Precautions you should take- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Beside taking medicine to control hyperurecemia, some dietary changes should be made. I suggest you to eat or drink: Low-fat dairy products Foods made with complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains, brown rice, oats, and beans Coffee (may lower serum uric acid levels) Vitamin C (500 mg per day may mildly lower uric acid levels) I advice you to- drink plenty of water and fluids, maintain an ideal body weight, lose weight if overweight because the extra load on your joints may be exacerbating your symptoms. Avoid eating foods high in purines. For pain control you can take anti-inflammatory drug after consulting your doctor. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What precautions should be taken when suffering from gout? 9 hours later
Dear Doctor,thank you for your reply,i see that you advise me to eat food with low carbohydrates i.e beans and oats etc but the doctor that i am seeing advise me not to take this kind of foods,especially beans.Please advise what should i do,also plz prescribe me what medicine i should take.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 13 hours later
Brief Answer: No any harm to take beans. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query again. Not all purine-rich foods were associated with an increased risk of gout. There was no increased risk associated with a diet that included the following foods which are considered high in purines: peas beans mushrooms cauliflower spinach So there is no any harm to take beans. If there s acute attack of gout then NSAIDS or Cholchicine are prescribed to reduce pain and inflammation. For chronic gout symptoms, I generally prescribe allopurinol( Zyloric) or febuxostat to my patients. Best wishes.