What is the treatment for painful swelling around wrist?

My left hand is swollen and very painful from my knuckles to my wrist. There is swelling around the wrist. It is very painful and I am unable to lift or hold anything in my left hand. I also have pain from my wrist to my shoulder.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Need some more information Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Did you injure yourself? Did you have any fractures in past ? Is there pain in the elbow? Are you on any medication? Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: What is the treatment for painful swelling around wrist? 2 hours later
Don't recall injuring it. Fractured index finger 10 years ago. No pain in elbow. Not on medication, took some Nurofen plus.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Non specific inflammation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. With no history of any injury, i suspect the reason for the swelling to be non specific inflammation. Do take anti-inflammatory medication like Tab Motrin 400 mg twice daily after food for three days. If there is no response, then you may have to consult an Orthopedician for investigations and physical examination. Regards,