What is the treatment for painful shoulder and tingling sensation in right arm?

My right shoulder is painful...may have hurt it lifting weights. I also have periodic tingling sensations in my right arm
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: musculoskeletal pain Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic If the pain in the shoulder started soon after a weight lifting session, then,as you indicated, it is likely related. Inflammation or injury to the muscles and tendons are potential problems in strength training. Other causes of shoulder pain would be: arthritis, fracture, dislocation, frozen shoulder Treatment would entail resting the area involved, applying cold packs and the use of anti inflammatory pain killers such as aspirin, naproxen, cataflam, ibuprofen. This type of medication should always be used on a full stomach. In terms of the tingling- if it started at the same time as the shoulder pain , it is likely related. Pain in one aspect of the limb can result in increased sensitivity of pain receptors resulting in abnormal sensations. It can also occur if there is any swelling at the shoulder that is affecting the nerve or blood supply. It would then resolve with the shoulder pain. If it started prior then it is possibly related to either the nerve or blood supply. Disturbance or abnormal function of any of these would cause tingling. This can determined by physical assessment by your doctor. The treatment would vary depending on the cause. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions