What is the efficacy of Sazo and its side effects?

i am taking sazo 500mg twice a day for diverticulitis. I have been asked to take it for 6 weeks. pl tell me the efficacy of sazo and its side effects. My email is YYYY@YYYY and name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX What other medication is required? I am already also taking sorbilene twice a day plus CYRA-d and Colospa retard. I have taken this medication for a fortnight and am on a high fibre diet. But still have a lot of gas. Can I take any thing to relieve it.?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: SAZO has no role in diverticulitis Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Firstly, Sazo has NO role in the management of Diverticulitis. Under "Medical History", you have mentioned as having IBS. IS IT Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Inflammatory Bowel Disease???? (Both conditions are erroneously abbreviated as IBS.) Common side effects of Sazo include headache, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal discomfort and alopecia. A 7-10 days' course of anti-amebic drug, such as, Metronidazole or Secnidazole; along with a regular intake of Probiotic, such as, Lactobacilli; and, regular intake of Isabgol Husk every night will relieve excessive gas formation. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and prescribe the advised drugs. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What is the efficacy of Sazo and its side effects? 4 hours later
what medicine should I take for diverticulitis; and how can i prevent a further attack.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Preventive measures given below Detailed Answer: Measures to prevent further attacks of Diverticulitis:- 1. High fiber diet. Daily intake of Isabgol husk will be of great help. 2. Plenty of water daily 3. Avoid constipation 4. Preferably, daily intake of Lactobacilli tablets/capsules to prevent the "bad bacteria" from killing the "good bacteria" in the colon.