What could be the reason for a sudden episode of hair loss and itchy scalp?

Hi, usually my hair is very thick and grows so fast I get haircuts every 3 weeks. Just lately(past 2 months) I have noticed that all of a sudden my hair has started thinning quite quickly. All I do is run my fingers through my hair and an alarming number of hairs come out each time. My scalp is quite itchy all of the time and the hairs that come out on my fingers mostly have white bulb tips on them. I am a 23 year old male, about 75kg, 180cm. Is this the onset of baldness in which I can intervene early, or, could this be a separate issue.
Kind Regards
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 45 minutes later

There seems to be scalp infection due to fungus. In Male Pattern Baldness, there is no itching, though fall of hair is definitely there.

Use a good antifungal shampoo / lotion. First wash your hair to remove grime and oil with ordinary soap / shampoo. Later on apply the antifungal shampoo and keep it for 10 minutes. Then wash it with ordinary soap / shampoo. Initially use it three times a week for one month. For next month, twice a week for one month. Later on once a week for a prolonged period of time.

You may try consulting a dermatologist if feasible. Oral antifungal medications are known to be more effective than topical antifungal shampoo.

Do not use hair-dryer.

Do not treat the hair very roughly, while combing.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I am available to answer your follow up question too.

Follow-up: What could be the reason for a sudden episode of hair loss and itchy scalp? 9 hours later
Thank you very much for the response. I just have one follow up question.
What are some of the things that may have caused my scalp infection? and lastly, how long should I expect my normal thickness of hair to grow back. I have been delaying going and getting another haircut as I'm worried it will be too thin all over and look silly.

Once again, thanks for the response.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Fungal infection can occur because of humidity or it can even spread at the barber's shop.Stress and low immunity levels, recent recovery from any infection could make one susceptible for fungal growth.
As the cycle of hair growth and fall is for 3 months, your hair may be alright in three months if the fungus is treated properly

Wish you good health.