What could be the possible causes for the appearance of rashes on body?

Jan 2014

what could be the possible causes for the appearance of rashes (as seen in the pic)? These rashes appear regularly, but disappear on application of aloe vera gel. How can one get rid of these?
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hives (Urticaria and Angioedema) Detailed Answer: hi XXXXXXX The rashes which you develop are Hives(Urticaria). They are pale or red raised patches that may itch and are evanescent i.e the rash appears suddenly and may involve the whole body and then usually resolves within a few hours( 6 weeks. Multiple factors can cause it: >Infections(bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitic etc). >Drugs/ Medications(Pain killers, Antibiotics, Multivitamins, anti hypertensives etc) >Food and Food additives. >Alcohol. >Underlying chronic disease like Thyroid, diabetes, Arthritis predispose to Urticaria and therefore patients of urticaria if its long standing need to be tested for Thyroid and diabetes and RA factor/ANA >A large majority of people have no discernable cause of urticaria even after detailed investigations and fall into the group of Idiopathic urticaria then their are various types of urtcaria: >Dermatographic urticaria: It is marked by the appearance of weals on the skin as a result of scratching or firm stroking of the skin. >Pressure urticaria. >Cholinergic urticaria(sweating, emotional states) >cold induced >Aquagenic urticaria(water induced) etc etc. I would like to know how long have you been experiencing these rashes? Do they have any seasonal assciation(winters or summers)?Any other medication you are on? Any associated medical problems like thyroid, diabetes, arthritis? Whether you notice that you can categorize your type of urticaria into any of the types i just mentioned? You can take an oral antihistamine like cetrizine once daily for 7-10 days. Apply a soothing lotion like calamine over that rashes
Follow-up: What could be the possible causes for the appearance of rashes on body? 23 minutes later
This has been happening for about 6 months now. I have mild psoriasis for which I use external lotions as the problem is under control now. I'm not sure if this is seasonal. It has never happened before. I have joint pains very frequently.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chronic urticaria(duration> 6 weeks) Detailed Answer: For symptomatic control you should take a non sedating antihistamine like loratadine 10mg once daily in the evening. If you feel that your symptoms are not completely relieved then you can double the dose .i.e can take twice daily (morning and evening). Are you on any painkillers for joints pain? Which all joints are affected? Though this is entirely different from your current query but it could be psoriatic arthritis, your treating doctor would know about this. I would advice that you get a few lab investigations done: Complete hemogram with ESR CRP Urine R/M Stool-ova/cyst ANA RF TFT(Thyroid function test) and anti thyroid antibodies Blood sugar- fasting. X-ray joints(Knee, elbows, hands, feet)
Follow-up: What could be the possible causes for the appearance of rashes on body? 47 minutes later
I'm not taking any pain killers. But just calcium tablets. I usually get pain in the knee, arm and shoulder joints.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need an orthopedic opinion for joint pain Detailed Answer: hi. I would advice you to get orthopedic opinion for your joint pains. That might be related to your psoriasis(psoriatic arhritis). Your treating doctor would tell you about it after examining X-ray joint films whether or not its psoriatic arthritis. In the mean time you can get the above tests done and follow up with your dermatologist along with test reports for a possible underlying cause of urticaria. All the best take care
Follow-up: What could be the possible causes for the appearance of rashes on body? 20 minutes later
thank you for the advice.. it was indeed very useful
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: :-) Detailed Answer: your welcome