What causes scanty blood flow during periods and what is the treatment?

May 2013
Hi , My age is 26. I am working as software engineers. I got married in March 2013. Still August my periods where regular. In the month of september i did nt get my periods. I went to the doctor but the pregnancy was negative. Doctor suggested me a tablet then i got my periods after 5 days but my periods was very little only for 2 and half days. Then doctors suggested me to take the tablets Zincofer Nurture and Evecare and to do some exercise. In the month of November i got only a some few drops of bleeding for 2 days. Now i am taking Zincofer Nurture, OOsure plus and Evecare tablets regularly. So I have some questions 1. Please say me Why my periods are not as before and lighter? 2. Can I become Pregnant with this lighter periods? 3. Suggest me to become my periods normal and regular.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypomenorrhea Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. 1.Scanty flow during periods is called hypomenorrhea. It can occur due to causes like: -Hormonal imbalance due to poly cystic ovary disease, stress and strain, weight changes etc. - Thyroid hormonal abnormalities - Changes in prolactin levels -General conditions like anemia etc. For more details : 2. If ovulation is occurring regularly, there is possibility of pregnancy even with scanty flow. But hormonal imbalance can affect the fertility. So, better to get evaluated throughly to find out the exact cause for scanty flow. 3 . Consult gynecologist once, get examined and go for investigations like : - Ultrasound - Hormonal profile including estrogen, progesterone, LH and FSH -Thyroid hormonal abnormalities - Prolactin levels -Blood sugar levels, hemoglobin levels etc. With this workup the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.