What causes delayed periods?

My period is 11 days late. I have always been regular. All 6 pregnancy tests i have taken are negative. What ia going on? Let me guess... Consult a doctor?
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not due to pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. You can be assured that pregnancy isn't a factor here. You have done multiple pregnancy tests and they are negative. The other reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, dietary changes or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here as pregnancy is ruled out. You can wait for a week more and if still there is no bleeding then please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case to find out the cause so that treatment can be given accordingly. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL