What can be done painful heels due to walking bare foot on gravel path ?

Hi I am 37 years old, 5'8" , about 160 pounds, in generally good health as far as i know. no conditions or medications.
Issue is I had a crazy idea to going running barefoot on gravel roads 4 nights ago for about 2 hours on and off. I don't remember having significant pain when i was doing it but the morning after i had sharp pain in all the areas of the bottom of my feet that make contact with the ground, especially the heels. It was very hard to walk or stand. It has gotten better since and the pain is gone from everywhere except the heels which are less painful, but still very painful. 2 days ago there was a kind of pain when i would stand and then raise my foot in the air there would be a very heavy aching pain. This has passed, now there is more of a spread buzzing/numb type of pain and sometimes sharp pain. There doesn't seem to be swelling. I stand a lot during work (i do massage) and i work privately and don't have any insurance so if i don't work i have no income so i hope to avoid that so am just hoping for the best and have not gone to a doctor to get it checked.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 32 minutes later

After learning your complain, It seems you have got some soft tissue injury and some mascular pain.

What I can suggest you is
1) Take some rest in between your work( say 5min every hr)
2)Take time out and keep your legs elevated.(also during night keep legs raised by keeping two pillows)
3) Use soft footwear say soft rubber,with heel protection.
4) Take some analgesics like ibuprofen and muscle relaxant if you can.
5)Keep your feet in lukewarm water with some added common salt to it.(this will reduce the pain and swelling if any)
6)Apply topical analgesic or counterirritant on the affected part.
7)If pain does not subside by two days then u must visit a doctor for further work up and to rule out any serious injury.

Hope this helps.
Write to me if you have any further questions or explanations.