Was on estracombi HRT for long. Could the drop in estrogen be a causative factor for losing bladder control?

Allergist and Immunologist
I was on estracombi HRT from the age of 45 to 60. I am now 65. I have lost control of my bladder. Could the drop in estrogen be a causative factor?
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 4 days later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

You are having bladder instability (also called detrusor muscle instability) with the usual symptoms of needing to go to the toilet everytime, and leaking urine if you are unable to (urge incontinence). Urgency, frequency, urge incontinence can also happen due to recurrent bladder infections (cystitis) and I hope this has been excluded with urine c/s studies.

Certain medications may be prescribed to regain control of the bladder muscle.
This should be taken in conjunction with some life style changes. Such as lowering the amount of caffeine intake (as caffeine has a diuretic effect), alcohol intake, fluids at night etc.
Bladder training exercises will help, so do consult an Urologist for this.
Antimuscarinics are prescribed to help with this problem. These include oxybutynin, tolterodine and solifenacin.
Side effect such as dry mouth are common but tolerable.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.