Was abruptly stopped from dilaudid and methadone, felt like dying. Suggest?

Dec 2014

I was abruptly stopped from my normal 32 mgs dilaudid & 20 mgs of methadone and felt like I was dying is this safe for anyone to do this to me?
It is called FREY Syndrome not Grey Syndrome and as far as my spine I have No soft Material Disgenerative disk disease along with Herniated/ bulging and broken disks/ vertabre
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Diludid is hydromorphone and it is an opioid drug. Methadone is also an opioid drugs. Diludid is commonly used as pain reliever medicine and it is useful in a variety of pain conditions but it has potential to cause dependence. Similarly methadone is also very addicting. Abrupt cessation of this drug can cause withdrawal syndrome so usually it is not advisable.

Withdrawal symptoms like irritability, insomnia, rebound increase in anxiety, autonomic imbalance, excitement, changes in BP, diarrhea, abdominal colic etc symptoms are seen. Severe pain is also commonly seen.

Best way to avoid such symptoms is to gradually taper the doses of drugs over 4 weeks and to provide symptomatic relief of symptoms. Consult a Psychiatrist for opinion.

Hope this helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.