Urine test detected blood. Microbio test said Haemoglobin or myoglobin pigments found in urine. What does this indicate?

Hi Dr, I was wanting to file for my immigration and went to take our medicals. The blood tests came normal. In the urine test, first the dipstick test was detected with blood(though I could not see anything), they asked me to get a microbio test done and in that test the results were

Glucose: Neg; Ketone: + ;
"+++Haemoglobin/myoglobin pigments found in urine.

What does that indicate? My other blood tests are normal except for liver GGT which is 138 and the renal function is normal. What will you suggest? Further, my Dr asked me to carry out a blood sugar test and the results were - 5.8 (3.5-5.4) and the Hb1AC - 40 (20-40). Based on the diabetic test, it came out that I'm not diabetic. What could be the other reason for myoglobin/haemoglobin to pass through urine? Is it serious? What signs I should look out for? Does it get resolved by itself? Another thing is I've been having a slight upset stomach though and sometimes I feel the acid reflux
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

I understand your query and concern.
Blood in urine testing could be due to stones in the urinary tract, infection or tumour.
These need to be ruled out by doing further tests like urine culture, plain x-ray and ultra-sonogram.
If nothing is found, then the urine test needs to be repeated to check if blood is still present.
U may experience abdominal pain due to the stones, if present or urinary symptoms is urinary infection is present.
Myoglobin is found in urine after injury to muscles or after heavy exercise and the same can be repeated to check if it has disappeared.
These things are not alarming and just that u need to be evaluated along these lines.
Hope I answered. Kindly get back for doubts.
Follow-up: Urine test detected blood. Microbio test said Haemoglobin or myoglobin pigments found in urine. What does this indicate? 2 hours later
I've attached the copy of my urine test report and the blood sugar reports. Again, I would like to clarify that even the urine test did not find any blood so your response above about blood in urine could be due to stone may not be true in my case since the urine report (microbio) states no blood, it is only haemoglobin/myoglobin pigments present. pH: 5, protein: +, glucose: neg; ketones: +
what does it really indicate. Please look at my report and let me know if there is any cause of concern? AT the moment, I'm taking lots of warm water, is that good? Will that help me resolve the myoglobin problem??
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Water intake would help.
Presence of Hb in urine should be discussed with your doctor to look for the need to evaluate your compete blood for blood disorders(Hemoglobinopathies)
In your case, it is worthwhile repeating the urine dipstix and if it is still positive, u can discuss the above issue with your doctor.
Hope this helps. Get well soon.

Follow-up: Urine test detected blood. Microbio test said Haemoglobin or myoglobin pigments found in urine. What does this indicate? 18 minutes later
Thanks but looking at my reports, what do you think? Is it serious? I don't have any problems or symptoms I can think experience now... Also, my urine colour is light yellow except the morning urine which is slightly darker shade of yellow. But, I'm drinking lots of water...any specific food I should refrain from eating. I'm a south indian vegetarian. Tell me if this looks anything serious for you at the moment.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 hours later
I dont think theres anything serious at present.
Already u r on healthy diet.
Kindly repeat the urine test once and we can take it from there.
All the best.