Trying to conceive. After intercourse lie down, but later have discharge. Is this normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
HI, my fiance and I are TTC, every time after IC I lay on my back for about 30 minutes with a pillow under my bum, but about 12 hours later i have a discharge that i believe to be semen, is this normal?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 23 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

Yes, if this is semen, and it seems like it is, then this is completely normal. Every time after sexual intercourse, the majoritiy of semen comes out.
Some of sperms goes into uterus and remaining along with other ejaculatory fluids are discharged out of the female's vagina due to gravity and muscle contraction. So, if you even lay down for few hours it will be discharged sooner or later, due to muscle contraction. Also, 10-15 minutes of such laying is enough, although this isn't scientifically proved, but you have nothing to lose. I am sure you will get pregnant soon. Wish you good luck and good health.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. After intercourse lie down, but later have discharge. Is this normal? 34 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Romic

Thank you for your repose and reassurance, If possible could you please confirm how long an egg is fertile after I start ovulating, I have been tracking my Cervical Mucus, and noticed the so called "Egg White" Discharge last night, I then took an Ovulation Test that came back positive, would it still be possible to conceive should we have intercourse tonight or is this a long shot?

Also does the so called "Egg White" discharge actually confirm ovulation and is it recommended to use actual egg white as a lubricant during intercourse?

Kind Regards,
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 44 minutes later

Egg white cervical mucus is the most fertile kind of cervical mucus, and you may notice it usually 2-3 before you ovulate (also it can sometimes appear 1 or 5 days before ovulation). It is good predictor of ovulation,but doesn't confirm this 100%. It is natural lubricant and the best media for sperm "swimming". So when you notice it it is ideal time for having intercourse.

If you use standard ovulation predictor test and if it is positive, it means that there has been a spike in LH levels in the body, indicating that ovulation is most likely to occur within 1-3 days.
So it has the same meaning as "egg white mucus". Since you don't know(usually it is impossible to know) the exact time of ovulation you just need to have sex in next 4 days after you notice "EGG white" or positive ovulation test. Your ovulation could have been yesterday or day before it( in this case it cant be fertilized since woman egg lives 12-24 hours) or it can be in next 2-3 days. Considering this,you should have intercourse today and tomorrow.

In future, as earlier as you "catch" "egg white mucus" or positive ovulation test, you will have more time for intercourse and chances of getting pregnant. So try to check your vaginal mucus already from 10 days of your cycle.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. After intercourse lie down, but later have discharge. Is this normal? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor

Thank you.

One more question if I may, I took an ovulation test the day before yesterday, and yesterday morning about 10am, both these test were negative, and yesterday evening at 6pm I noticed the Egg White Mucus, so I took a second test for the day, this test was positive, so would it be safe to assure that I did not miss the ovulation window?

I am on a usual cycle of 30 days, and yesterday was day 14 of my cycle, we also had intercourse on day 12 of my cycle skipped day 13 and again on day 14, would the ejaculate from day 12 have been able to reach the egg if it was only available on day 14?

Is it okay to have intercourse everyday, from day 14 to day 17 to be safe, or will this affect the sperm count, we have had a sperm analysis done, everything was normal except for the shape of the sperm, the total sperm that was shaped properly was a bit low, so taking that into consideration would it still be okay to have intercourse every day for the few days that we suspect I am ovulating or should we skip a few days in between?

Could I confirm that ovulation has completed once I take an ovulation test and it is negative, so may we take a break from intercourse once i receive a negative ovulation test after receiving a few positive tests during this time?

Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 4 hours later

Yes, It would be safe to assure that.

Sperm can live up to 5 days inside the female reproductive organs and egg lives 24 hours as I said. So it is considered that fertilization can occur if there is intercourse in period from 3-4 days before and 1 day after the ovulation. So sperms would be able to reach egg in your case.

It is safe to have intercourse as much as you want. Body produces sperms much more then it is needed. There can be only bit less prostate secretions but it wont affect possiblity of pregnancy much. This sperm analysis isnt also something significant for you and your partner. If sperm count is normal then you dont have to worry. You should have intercourse once a daily during these days,you dont have to skip anything.

Yes, you can consider that ovulation is over if test is negative and after this there is no posibility of fertilization and then you can have sex for pleasure if you want:). Wish you good luck. If you have more questions I am here for you.