Trying to conceive. Ultrasound scan is normal showing several small follicles. Any advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi I have been trying to conceive for 6 months, been seen by a Gynaecologist and he is happy everything is ok with mine and my husband fertility. I am just having a last blood test on day 2 or 3 of my period to check for egg quality. I have been with my husband for 11 years but I would say for ten years you could count on your hands how many times we were intimate, even now we are only intimate maybe once a fortnight, is this why I am not getting pregnant? I really want a baby and have convinced myself it will never happen cos I am 38. Do you think this could happen for us if we had more intimacy? I have never been pregnant before. And my husband is my only partner ever in my life. Ultrasound scan is normal showing several small follicles. Many thanks for your help in the above matter.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Planning intercourse around the time of ovulation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation will increase the possibility of pregnancy. So as you said infrequent intercourse may be the cause for your infertility. Though your age is 38 years, if your ovarian reserve is adequate, you can conceive now also. Possibly with your next blood tests one conclusion can be drawn regarding this. After undergoing the tests, with your doctor's advice you can go for ovulation induction. Then you can go for follicular study to track the ovulation. And plan intercourse around the time of ovulation, this will increase the possibility of pregnancy. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Ultrasound scan is normal showing several small follicles. Any advice? 1 hour later
So if I time intercourse around ovulation I should conceive naturally? It doesnt matter that I have never be pregnant before?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer: If all other factors are normal Detailed Answer: Hi, If all other factors are normal, there is more possibility for pregnancy if intercourse is planned around the time of ovulation. All other factors means: -Regular ovulatory menstrual cycles. -Patent fallopian tubes. -Normal uterine endometrium and myometrium, that are favorable for implantation. -Normal seminal parameters etc. Usually the possibility of conception in single menstrual cycle is around 11%. If you plan intercourse around the time of ovulation the possibility increases to around 25 to 50% depending on other factors. If you didn't get pregnancy before because of any other problem, the possibility of pregnancy is low even if you plan intercourse around the time of ovulation. As all your reports are normal according to your doctor, I suggested intercourse around the period of ovulation. Take care.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Ultrasound scan is normal showing several small follicles. Any advice? 4 hours later
Everything normal so go use clearblue fertility monitor for 6 months if not conceive will see another specialist. If fertility monitor shows ovulation does that mean I do ovulate

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Fertility monitor recognizes LH surge Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes. Fertility monitor recognizes the LH hormonal surge and according to that shows the fertile days. After LH surge ovulation will occur in 24 to 36 hours usually. So better to plan intercourse during 2 to 3 most fertile days for better results. Try with fertility monitor for 3 months. If you succeed, it is good. If not better to go for ovulation induction with your doctor's advice and go for ultrasound based follicular study to monitor the ovulation. It is better than fertility monitor, because we can directly visualize the progress. Take care.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Ultrasound scan is normal showing several small follicles. Any advice? 2 hours later
Many thanks for your help I am a lot more hopeful that things will work out naturally as my husband doesn't want any treatment he wants it all naturally. I am feeling much better now after talking to you. My only main concern is my husband drinks alcohol but keeps within the guidelines my gynaecologist said that shouldnt make much impact, he used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day but has now gone on tobacco and this has cut him down dramatically he has approximately 15 tobacco cigs a day so surely this will help with him.

Brief Answer: Better to cut down the number of cigarettes Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually alcohol and cigarette smoking will have impact on seminal parameters. But as now your husband has cut down the number of cigarettes and as his seminal analysis is normal, possibly you may conceive naturally. Better to further cut down the number of cigarettes per day. Wish you good luck. Take care.