Trying for a baby, overweight, on psychiatric medication. Also have borderline thyroid. Chances?

Mar 2016

I am 40 ,5'5'' and 90 kgs.Been married since 2 years.Tried naturallt to have a baby frst year without success.We want to try again this year but i am a bit reluctant due to the following facts:I am 40,90 kgs and on Psychiatric medication like deepakote 250,buspin 5 mg and palaris 3 mg.I can't do without these.and also have thyroid in borderline.
What would u suggest is have a child naturally or go for alternatives like surrogac etc.
Kindly advise on the same.Thanks in advance!!
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Here, I like to know following information to assist you better according to your query. Please give details as much as possible.

1) What is your last menstrual period date, regular/ irregular??
2) How much long do you take psychiatric medications?? Is there any diagnosed disease?
3) Do you undergo any investigation like ultrasound scan or hormonal tests or other fertility tests etc?? If yes, please give details of associated reports.
4) How often did you try for baby? Is it around fertile period or ovulation days?

Waiting for your response. Reply soon.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Trying for a baby, overweight, on psychiatric medication. Also have borderline thyroid. Chances? 11 hours later
1)last period was on 28th may...its normally a 28 day cycle been kind of regular.
2)for a long time (like 10 years...2 years these and before that some other)
3)yeah it was normal
4)last year between dec and may...yes.

Want to know if its safe to carry out pregnance under these circumstances.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for giving additional information regarding your query.

According to your age, you need to undergo ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology) like IVF/ IUI/ GIFT/ ZIFT etc without wasting time for natural conception after consultation with infertility specialist. Success rate varies from women to women.

Before that, you need to undergo some additional investigation like husband semen analysis, ovarian reserve (to see capability of egg for pregnancy) by day 3- FSH & AMH (Anti Mullerian Hormone) estimation, serial follicular study from D12-D16 to check proper ovulation, thyroid profile & other hormonal tests etc.

In case of abnormal sperm count or poor quality of egg/ sperm, you can take donor egg or sperm. If ART procedure is failed due to decreased capacitance of the uterus, you can opt for surrogate pregnancy.

Elder pregnancy has always some risks like miscarriage, APH (placenta previa etc), pre-eclampsia or eclampsia, chromosomal abnormality etc.

Here, you need to consult with infertility & reproductive medicine specialist for proper guidance through above tests and procedure.

In the interim, you need to reduce some weight by regular physical exercise, total avoidance of high calorie foods, take vitamin-E & folic acid supplements, try to avoid mental stress and take sound sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Trying for a baby, overweight, on psychiatric medication. Also have borderline thyroid. Chances? 1 hour later
We have already been to Gift fertlity centre and got the tests done.Sperm has 80% motality and no problem as such.Also they said with ivf also 20%success rate is only there.

With natural birth i see lot of problems ,and also i dont think i will be able to live 9 months without my medicines.Also its not happening either.

What do u think of surrogacy?Do u think that will be good idea. i heard that has 60% success rate.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 58 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Success rate of surrogate pregnancy is always high in comparison to IVF. If you do not bother natural birth, then you can opt for surrogacy. It is best idea as you do not want to quit psychiatric medication.

Hope it helps to clear your confusion. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Trying for a baby, overweight, on psychiatric medication. Also have borderline thyroid. Chances? 7 hours later
One last question..I don't mind natural birth also but it has more complications i think with my history.Thats why thought of surrogacy t be on safer side.

So finally,wat do u suggest?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 minutes later

Thanks for your follow ups.

According to your age, there are several complications if you try for natural birth. Surrogacy is always safe option to avoid all above things. It has highest success rate in comparison to other methods.

So, I suggest to opt surrogate pregnancy which can give you more relief of mental stress.

Wish your good health. Hope for positive result.

Dr Soumen