Took zolofts mistaking it as xynax. Do I need to get medical help?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
Medicine mixtures.Hi. Im currently terrified. I take cymbalta every day and occasionly xanax. Well today I accidentally took 2 of my sisters zolofts instead, mistaking them for my xanax. Do I need to get medical help?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 38 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX

Please don't panic and relax.

Zoloft (Sertraline) is another type of anti-depressant medication, belonging to group called SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake inhibitors).

Cymbalta is anti-depressant medication as well, slightly different than Zoloft.

You have not mentioned the strength of Zoloft tablets?

Any serious side-effects are very unlikely with accidental ingestion of 2 tablets. There could be minor effects like nausea, may be a bit of light-headedness.

If you experience any worrying symptoms, then only you need to get medical help. Not otherwise.

Hope my answer has been helpful. Do revert back if you have any further queries.

Dr Tejas Shah
Follow-up: Took zolofts mistaking it as xynax. Do I need to get medical help? 34 minutes later
Tablets were 50mlg each.
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 10 minutes later
Thanks for reverting back.

At total dose of 100 mg, it is very unlikely to cause any medical issues. Please do seek medical help if at all any worrying symptoms appear.

Relax and stay calm.

Dr Tejas Shah