Thyroid function test done. Is this related to any thyroid related disorder?

ENT Specialist
Question

I was recommended to take Thyroid function tests recently when a fitness instructor was at our office. The following are the results:

Free T4,serum = 16.5 pmol‎/‎L‎
Free T3,serum = 5.3 ‎pmol‎/‎L‎‎
sensitiveTSH,serum = 1.050 ‎microIU‎/‎ml‎

What is your interpretation of the above results? Do they point to any thyroid related disorder? I am also listing below my body composition data generated by the machine for your reference.
Ht 5' 7"
Wt: 68.8 Kg
Waist: 33"
Fat: 23% (Ideal 17%)
Visceral fat: 8 (Ideal 1-9)
Resting metabloism: 1575
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your Thyroid Function Tests are within normal limits. This does not point to a thyroid related disorder. Do you have any symptoms which suggest otherwise?

2. Your other body parameters are also within normal limits except ideal body fat percentage. You may get a lipid profile done.

3. Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is around 24 which is excellent.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Thyroid function test done. Is this related to any thyroid related disorder? 34 hours later

I checked on the thyroid limits online and it seems to suggest the readings for Free T3 and TSH are close to hyperthyroid range. I am experiencing some of the symptoms like fatigue, higher blood pressure, thin hair, heat intolerance.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You should only compare your test results against those followed by the particular laboratory in which your tests were done.

2. Checking against online test ranges will give erroneous inferences. Different testing laboratories may have different reference ranges.

3. You may consult an endocrinologist if you suspect sub-clinical Hyperthyroidism.

Regards.