Taking vicoden for osteoarthritis. Noticed dark circles under eyes. Side effect of vicoden?

Hello, I have been prescribed Vicoden for my osteoartheritis. I have been taking it for a year now and I have noticed unbelieveable dark circles under my eyes and now I am getting bags under the circles. Is this a side affect of Vicoden?
If so, if I change medication, will the circles and bags go away? I am desperate to know. I have asked my doctor and he said no.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 37 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us
Your dark circles are not related to your medicine intake.
Periorbital melanosis or dark circles are due to
1)chronic disesase(iron deficiency, thyroid disorder, atopy, allergic rhinitis)
2)lifestyle factors(stress, anxiety,long waking hours , more use of laptops, vision strain)
3) hereditary factors
4) localised factors(thin under eye skin along with micro leaks of blood through underlying fineblood vessels).
To treat the same, you may follow these
1)lifestyle modification that is improve your sleep pattern, avoid too much use of laptop or tv watching
2) use topical depigmentary undereye creams like kojic acid, arbutin and vit c combination cream .
3)Also peels specifically meant for thin undereye skin like arbutin peels or Pyruvic acid peels or mild Glycolic acid peels can be taken.

As far as eye bags are concerned

Sometimes it is lifestyle related like excessive smoking, alcohol consumption, lots of stress, improper sleep, sleeping on sides or in prone postion or use of excessive salt in food.
Even sun exposure can lead to eye bags as uv rays weaken the skin collagen. Similarly kidney disorder or thyroid disorder can also lead to fluid retention.

To treat the condition
1) cut on your smoking, alcohol and excessive salt consumption.
2) Use a good sunscreen and sleep in a supine propped up position.
3) caffeine or haloxyl based under eye creams also aid in reduction of under eye bags
4)you can use cold cucumber slices, tea bags or rosewater eye pads to soothe the eye.
5)lymphatic drainage and microcurrent therapy are also useful. However results with these therapies are temporary. If nothing works eyebags can be surgically removed by a procedure known as blepharoplasty.

In nutshell, the medicines that you are taking has nothing to do with your dark circle or eye bags.
Life style modification in terms of sleeping habits and eating habits is required
Use wunder eye cream to reduce dark circles and puffiness in night and a Kojic acid and vitamin c based cream in day time.
Avoid caffeine, alcohol, excess salt
You may also take a multivitamin and iron supplement for few days.

Dark circles and puffy eyes take time to respond. Do not expect results before one to two month.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.