Taking celebrex. EGD showed bleeding of stomach. Should I stop taking celebrex immediately?

I have been on Celebrex for a number of years and just had a EGD which showed I have had bleeding of the whole stomach, a biopsy was done, results not in. After reading the many problems, bleeding of the stomach included I think I should come off of Celebrex. Should this be done slowly or can I just stop it? Due to Fibromyalgia and spine problems I have tried to stop Celebrex in the past, however because of the pain I always return to it.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Non steroidal anti inflammatory medication(NSAIDs) like Celebrex will cause problems of gastritis and gastrointestinal bleeding. Since the EGD is already showing bleeding one should stop this medication immediately.
Normally when such NSAID like Celebrex is prescribed the doctor prescribes some protective drugs like Ranitidine, Omeprazole, etc. to prevent such gastrointestinal problems like bleeding, gastritis etc. Were you on such medication or not.

Your doctor will stop such medication (like Celebrex) if there is any hemorrhage. So stop it and wait for the biopsy report.

Hope this helps.
Praying God for your speedy recovery.