Taking armour thyroid and antacid together. Developing dry skin, gaining weight. For which medicine?

Question
I currently take 60mg. of armour thyroid (no side effects, works) per day approximately the same time each day early in the morning. Unable to take synthyroid meds due to pain it causes in legs and feet. The prescription container label states, no food until an hour after taking the medication. 4 hours before or after thyroid medication in order to take any antacid medication. 4 hour wait also for any vitamins or mineral supplements.
Recently I notice after taking 150 mg of Zantac antacid pills on a daily basis for erosion of the esophagus, intense drying of my skin, putting on weight without changing my diet. Feeling sluggish, retaining fluids bowel movements that can be solid in morning, lose in the afternoon or vice a versa. Informing my gastro physician he says 1-2% have this reaction to antacids. As a test I stopped taking the Zantac for a few days and skin improved especially around the eyes. Tried other antacids, same affect. Doctor says lesser of two evils. Need to contain/heal erosion.. Could it be that it is also affecting my thyroid? I have a hypo condition.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
The only way it could be affecting your thyroid is by reducing the absorption of armour thyroid. This may warrant an increase in dosage of Armour thyroid if your TSH has been found to be out of range - I mean above the upper limit of normal. Othrr than that it wont affect your thyroid problem in XXXXXXX way.
There are other options as well. You can try rabeprazole instead of ranitidine(zantac). You can take your antacid tablets before dinner and thyroid tab in the morning so that there is no interference in the absorption. Another option is to take antacid in the morning and thyroid at bedtime late night. Both these options are acceptable. After the schedule has been changed thyroid function has to be repeatdd after 4- 6 weeks to see if any dose adjustment in armour thyroid is needed.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad