Taken rabipur injections 4 dosage. Had contact with dog. Took one more additional dose. Safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Sir ,
I have taken rabipur injections 4 dosage last year on september and october 2012.
Then on 17 aug 2013 scrated by dog so i taken 0th and 3rd rabipur dosage .
Then after 15 days (5 sept 2013) i have contact with dog so i went to hospital they told me to take two rabipur dosage again.
So please tell these additional dosage are required?8 dosage of rabipur will be in one year period of time.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, these additional doses are required.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Within 1 year of receiving the complete rabipur injection schedule, if any person exposes to dog bite again, another 2 doses of rabipur injections has to be taken on 0 and 3rd day to get protection against rabies.

Yes, I advise you to take these additional 2 doses on 0 and 3rd day as per the doctor advise.

Rabipur vaccine is safe and will give protection if it is taken as per the schedule and rabies has no treatment and it can be prevented by effectively by vaccination only.

But take precautions to avoid frequent bite or scratch by the dogs.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taken rabipur injections 4 dosage. Had contact with dog. Took one more additional dose. Safe? 11 hours later
Sir,
I want to ask you that as above mentioned I had 4 dosage of rabipur last year.

So can i avoid last two dosage as i have taken two dosage before 15 days or i have to get them?
If I took 4+2+2=8 injections in period of one year then any problem will occur or it is safe.?
please reply me.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to get them. It is safe.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

The schedule for reexposure within a year of complete rabies vaccination is to give two doses of Rabipur injections on 0 and 3rd day.

As you have exposed to dog bite or scratch twice in this year with a gap of 15-20 days, two dose schedule of Rabipur is required for twice.

As you have received one schedule of two Rabipur injections around 17 August 2013, you need another schedule of two injections of Rabipur on 0 and 3rd day at present because of reexposure to dog scratch.

No, you can not avoid the last two doses as incomplete vaccination will not protect you from rabies if the last dog was a rabid one.

I suggest you to get the two injections as advised by your doctor.

There is no harm in taking 8 injections of Rabipur in a period of 1 year.

And the presently available rabies vaccines are very safe.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taken rabipur injections 4 dosage. Had contact with dog. Took one more additional dose. Safe? 11 minutes later
thank you very much doctor

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back and contacting me on Healthcare Magic.

If you don't have any clarification I request you to close the discussion and please rate my answer.

Best regards.