Had dog bite. Took a Intramuscular injection of rabipur. Is there any more precautions to be taken?

General Surgeon
Respected Sir/ Madam,

Accidentally, I had experienced a Dog bite from a stray dog yesterday morning at 7:00 AM. It was not a XXXXXXX incission, but could see it as two tooto bites below the left knee.

I then went to home after 25 mins and washed the area with the Soap and then returned to Town at 10:30 aM and had a Intra Muscular injection of Rabipur from a Nurse.

Is this measure enough to safe myself or should I take any other precautions of restrictions.

Iam very tensed due to this unexpected incident. Few people are saying not to have head bath and avoid Non veg items and many more...

Can you assist me in this scenario and provide me the clear guidelines for the same.

One of my relative has to undergo blood transfusion this week and I thought of donating my blood as I belong to O +ve.

But as I had the Rabipur Injection on Sunday, Do I have eligibility to donate blood.

Can you help me in this regard.

Thank you and have a Wonderful day ahead.

Kind Regards
XXXXX- Chennai
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 days later
Thanks for writing in.     
Stray dog bite is very common in India as there are plenty of such dogs. The best thing you did is washing the dog area with soap and water as it removes most of dog saliva and bacteria as well as viruses .Another good thing done by you is to get the vaccination at the earliest possible i.e. Rabipur .

Any dog bite whether minor or major requires minimum 6 injections of Rabipur ,so you should have full course of anti rabies vaccine i.e. Rabipur that is on day 0,3,7,14,28 and 90th day of bite . So please take the entire schedule of the vaccine accordingly.
You should clean the area regularly and ensure the area doesn`t get infected.

There is no harm at all in taking whole body bath and consuming non vegetarian food, as it is only a myth.

Avoid donating blood at least for the minimum 10 days ,as most of sign and symptoms of rabies do appear with in that period ,if possible till full course of vaccination is complete
‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”