Cut in hand, not sure if it is dog bite. Took complete dose of rabipur sometime back. What should be the dose now?

Jun 2015

Yesterday night I was little drunk and was chased by dogs and then I climbed onto a wall and jumped. I have little bite like XXXXXXX on my hand which is cured now. To be safe I took a rabipur injection as in that quick moment I do not remember it was dog bite or the barbed wires. there are just two lines of cuts .. no symbol of dog tooth which suggests its a dog bite even the doctor could not identify that it was dog bite.
I did finish a complete dose of rabipur 4 years back when my home dog bit me. Do i need to take all 5 injections now or as the rabipur manual says only two are needed. This time I took the injection at 15th hour of dog bite, is that a concern ?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

I have seen the picture attached with your post & it is difficult to determine whether the cut marks are due to injury from barbed wires or due to dog bite.
However, it is appreciable that you took Rabipur injection for safety purpose.

According to the World Health Organization, the person who has previously received a complete course of primary immunization (pre- or post-exposure) should receive two doses of Rabipur; one on each of days 0 and 3, respectively. This is independent of the interval to the last immunization.
Proper management of the wound should be done.
No administration of rabies immunoglobulin is required.

So, as you have previously taken a complete course of Rabipur, this time you need to take only 2 injections.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Cut in hand, not sure if it is dog bite. Took complete dose of rabipur sometime back. What should be the dose now? 5 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply Doctor.
Yesterday doctor did not administer me tetanus shot. Do I go and get it now?
I have had tetanus shot before in past (Don't exactly remember when)

Please advise. I am not sure what is meant by rabies immunoglobulin. Is it part of Rabipur or some other medicine. Please advise on Tetanus shot as well.

Till now I dont see much pain in muscles (A little pain in my right hand but that is because i climbed on the wall). Apart from that I do not see any changes in around 36+ hours
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

1. Since you do not remember when you took the tetanus shot last time, it is always advisable to get one.
However, it is best to take the injection within 24 hours of the injury.

2. Rabies immunoglobulin is a kind of passive immunization in which ready made anti-rabies antibodies are injected.
But you should not be concerned about it as they are indicated only in case of severe exposure.

3. The pain in the right hand can be taken care of by adequate rest and analgesics.
There is no need to worry.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.