Taken antibiotics for resistant toe infection. Need expert doctor

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My sister, slim, healthy woman 65 has somehow contracted what is presumed to be MRSA. Infection in toe was treated for (almost 5 weeks) with an array of antibiotics, prior to surgery and bone graft last week. Still no results, but she has been released with Vanycomin and invanz (home treatment ) total one and 1/2/hour intravenious for at least 6 weeks.
How can I locate SOMEONE WITH POSSIBLE EXPERTISE with this horrible bacteria. A podiatrist did the surgery last week, and is following up. An internist from the hospital is prescribing medicine, but I feel she needs someone who I can feel comfortable is right on top of this. I don't know what happens next if this doesnt work. concerned sister
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
There is no special profession for such infections, It should be treated by multidiscilplinary team of surgeon,internist and infectiologist. MRSA should not be presumed, it should be verified and antibiogram should be done to detect the bacterial antibiotic sensitivity.
Unfortunately,the treatment is limited to 2-3 antibiotics and surgical debridemenet. Bone graft and thiersch procedures may be helpful but its outcome is hardly predictible since MRSA is resistant bacteria which commonly recurs and it is difficult to eradicate it completely,especially in older and immunocompromised people. She is covered with most effective antibiotics for this type of infection and if there is no success of bone graft and no sign of healing,then the next option is toe amputation which should performed to prevent serious blood poisoning and infection spreading.
WIsh you good health. iF you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards