What is the reason for soreness and swelling in upper lip?

I am diabetic. and I have what I thought was a zit in my nose. but it has made my upper lip sore and swollen. anf now my cheeks arr getting that way also. is this something I need to go to the Dr. for.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes emergent visit Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for the query. You need to see a physician as soon as possible, I suspect that you have developed an infection called cellulitis, that started after your zit in the face and now has spread. You will likely require antibiotics, particularly ones that are active against MRSA, a bacteria from the skin that can do great damage. As a diabetic, you are at risk for serious and more rapidly progressive infection, so I would not delay evaluation. Wish you the very best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN