Symptomatic UTI for 6 weeks. Taking Cipro, Macrodantin. Sill having infection. Any reasons?

I have had sypmtomatic UTI for 6 weeks - I was on CIPRO 200 mg for 3 weeks and I am now on Macrodantin 100mg 2x day 10Sy . I still have infection. I had a urine culture with dx of staphylococcus epidermidis. I have another family doctor appointment in the morning. Any ideas what is going on? Any recommendations for further work ups or medications?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later

I am keen to know what symptoms you are experiencing at this point of time.

Staphylococcus in your urine is contaminant from the skin and does not represent infection. If you are symptomatic then you need to submit urine again for examination and also get ultrasound Kidney, ureter and urinary bladder.

However, if you are asymptomatic, then just forget about the infection part and stop all medications. If there is recurrence of infection then you should see urologist.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further concerns.

Follow-up: Symptomatic UTI for 6 weeks. Taking Cipro, Macrodantin. Sill having infection. Any reasons? 13 hours later
Unfortunately I did not read your message before I went to my family doc this morning. It went into my "junk mail" in error. Your message would have been very helpful.

My symptoms are resolving - but there is still some burning, and the dip stick test still shows positive for WBCs.

My doc did not make any further referrals or lab work and since my 7 day course Macodantin ended today so she recommended continuation because the culture showed the staphylococcus epidermidis was sensitive to it.

Do you still think i should stop the meds?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 7 hours later

Stop all medications and repeat your urine examination after 1 week.

The urine specimen should be midstream clean catch specimen. You should separate labial folds with fingers and start voiding on the pot. Collect the mid stream urine in the specimen container and submit it for analysis.