Suffered from back muscle pain. Taking muscle relaxant and pain killer. Looking for proper relief

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I suffered back muscle pain while working out in the gym 1 month back which I ignored and continued working out at Gym for next week by applying regular Moov/Violini sprays. Last week while bending to pick up something at home I had a severe catch at the same place as a result I went to Fortis hospital for pain relief where the casualty doctor checked and prescribed muscle relaxant and pain killer. Though the pain has subsided however it refuses to go away. I continue to feel pain while sitting down or driving the car. This appears on left side of my lower back and not on the spine.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
This, as you already know, looks like a positional anomaly. The low back ache is a result of muscle spasm which in itself is a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation).
Avoid sleeping on sides and stomach in case you do. While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity or exercises for some time.

Having said that, you might want to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days. Physiotherapy particularly lumbar traction for a week and back strengthening exercises after pain relief work well.

Remember that medicines usually don't play a role in long term treatment, what does is exercises. Few exercises that the therapist will teach you must be done for life time.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.